[LMB] OT: once more - with feeling ...

Baur baur at chello.at
Fri Mar 11 17:51:17 GMT 2016

a few words about  containers ..

are you buying a new one? if so, why? you should be able to get used
containers for under USD 1000,- if you shop around a bit (and those are
the all metal, ISO shipping container style) .. they are perfectly
useable, just look a bit used .. at least over here in europe there are
people who trade in used ISO containers on the web

we bought one to use as a secure garden shed ..

if you plan to use the container for a longer time after the move, you
need to move it off the ground - not many people realize it but the
bottom of a ISO container is build out of a special kind of marine
plywood. if you keep it on the ground, rainwater will soak into the
plywood and rot it over time. we put ours on two small concrete strip
pads (under the front and back) about 5 inch off ground - works perfectly

if you dont need it after your move, put it up on craigs list or
similar, or contact the local iron scrap dealers - this should be enough
iron for them to take away fro free ..

servus

markus

Am 11.03.2016 um 16:35 schrieb Aruvqan:

> On 3/11/2016 10:22 AM, Margaret Devere wrote:
>>
>> Yes, but books are easy. They're in mostly standard shapes and sizes.
>> They fit easily into boxes. Granted, the boxes are heeeeaaaavy.
>>
>> But when I've moved, I've always packed the books first just because
>> they're the easiest place to start.
>>
> I have always favored banker boxes for moving books. The smaller size
> tends to make it more difficult to load in a tonne of books, they stack
> nicely and have lovely handholds. They also seem designed perfectly for
> stacking onto handtrucks! Not the huge office moving sort, but the kind
> that are sort of the size of a case of printer paper.
>
> We decided that when the time comes for us to make the move to
> California, we are simply buying a 20 foot cargotainer and dropping it
> in the driveway and packing it. Has the benefit of owning it, and being
> able to hire a trucking firm to come and haul it for us. Thanks to my
> Dad's business connections, I have contacts in a couple different
> national level trucking companies, and we would simply follow the
> hauler's tractor across the country. Though with 25 years accumulation
> of crap, it might take 2 cargotainers.
>
> On the plus side, you can buy a 20 foot cargotainer for $3000 to 5000
> locally, depending on if you prefer wooden/metal composite or all metal.
> There is also a rail depot/trucking firm combination over in Plainfield
> we have had occasion to have items drop shipped to [most recently was my
> Baker's Woodstove.] In a pinch, we could have the cargotainer hauled
> there, plopped onto a train car, shipped across country and picked up at
> the depot in Fresno and hauled and dropped wherever we end up.] I have
> heard too many negative stories about moving companies, even those hired
> by the military specifically to move service families. [Though the brand
> new mercedes car belonging to the CO of Adak getting dumped into the
> ocean off the barge was a bit funny ...]
>
> ---

Email from my mobile connection.