[LMB] OT: Fair use > From: Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Tue Mar 15 21:30:37 GMT 2016

When someone makes dozens of copies for classroom use, I believe that that
is NOT "fair use".  A copy or two for personal research purposes or rather
excerpts, is one thing, wholesale copying without remuneration and/or
permission is gross abuse of "fair use".

Schools pay significant sums of money for textbooks, even ones for
long-out-of-copyright publications.  Textbook companies are NOT benefactors
of humankind, just ask people paying for college textbooks--which cost a LOT
more than even newly published novels from pricey fiction publishers.

The claim of penury doesn';t stand up, teachers tend on the average to be
paid better than most writers are...