[LMB] CVA vs GJ&RQ (audiobook)

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Mar 16 22:41:03 GMT 2016

Hi all!

I've just begun listening to the GJ&RQ audiobook.

I'm a bit of a pedant, I guess you'd say, regarding pronunciation.

I've griped here before about pronunciation in various audiobooks.
This time, I note what sounds like a regression, in that in CVA, Mr.
Gardner pronounced Ivan's boss's name in what seemed to me to be a fairly
authentic French manner, given that it looks like a French name, that
seemed appropriate. But in the more recent GJ&RQ he is back to giving
it an American-style pronunciation, des plains, sounding exactly like
it is spelled (if you're American, not French).

Wondering if someone had coached him to say it that way, perhaps
he had been in contact with Herself, who may (just a theory here, maam!)
have coached him on the American vs French pronunciation.

Just curious...

Fred
    community.
 --Roger Ebert, December, 1996