[LMB] From Desdemona to Desuma

Elizabeth Stowe estowe427 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 00:09:37 GMT 2016

I can't find the discussion in the archives, but before she published "Penric's Demon," Lois McMaster Bujold asked the list about possible women's names beginning with the letters "Des." She had a character named Desdemona and felt that she possibly needed a less recognizable name.

Thinking about her request, I came up with a name—Desuma—and what immediately followed in my mind was that she was a strong, black, big Roknari woman who was a devotee of the Father of Winter.

It has taken me a long time, but I've finally written down a tale about Desuma. The events take place shortly before the rise of the Golden General.

It's on Archive of Our Own. Desuma's Way, a tale of the world of the 5 gods. http://archiveofourown.org/works/6295252#main

I hope anyone who reads it, likes it.

Elizabeth