[LMB] OT: How to Read Print on Paper?

Sue Wartell swartell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 05:22:21 BST 2016

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 12:06 AM, Carol Botteron <botteron at alum.mit.edu>
wrote:

> ...  If I want close things to look bigger and clearer I just take my
> glasses off.  That is OK for a bit of hand sewing but it would be too hard
> to read a book that way,

I'm terribly near-sighted in one eye, less so in the other, and also need
bifocals.  I completely understand taking the glasses off to get a better
close view (though my optometrist doesn't see how I could get around the
house without my contacts or glasses.)  I've been this way since I was
quite small, though, and am used to reading with only one eye at a time,
very close up.  Not good enough for a cookbook, but fine for novels, or
even technical reading, for me.  I wear reading glasses over my contacts
when I need to see fine detail for extended periods of time (beading,
needlework, etc.), and have friends who wear them right over top of their
prescription glasses.

Besides seeing my ophthalmologist 3-4 times a year I get my eyes tested
> every couple
> of years.  The optometrists always say I should be able to see just fine.
> Feh.

It took some doing, but I've found an optometrist who believes me when I
tell him I can't see, and will work with me to get something that works as
well as it can. (My vision correction is always a compromise.)  If you have
the option, try checking with friends with unusual vision issues for
recommendations.  It does make a huge difference.

E-books are indeed a blessing.

Sue