[LMB] Any chance of a new book, Lois?

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Thu Nov 3 14:26:43 GMT 2016

[LMB] Any chance of a new book, Lois?
Leanne Martin leanne_martinau at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 3 10:08:19 GMT 2016

Leanne Martin:  I was wondering whether there was any chance of a new
book themed like a female version of Ethan of Athos, please? ( You
probably get sick of being asked...)

LMB:  You are actually the first person to ask that one, but I can't say
as the idea speaks to me.  There have been dozens, probably hundreds, of
assorted Amazon-planet and all-women societies portrayed in SF and
fantasy.  _Ethan of Athos_ was itself a spin on this common trope.  A
little too serious a tale in itself to be a send-up, but definitely with
some irony leaking in around the edges.

So this seems to me a want already filled, or better filled, by writers
with more passion about the topic.

Besides, a world exploring how one gender, the female, would take up all
the costs and tasks of parenting, would be... something we don't need SF
for.  Many of us already live it in there here-and-now.

Ta, L.