[LMB] Any chance of a new book, Lois?

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Thu Nov 3 19:59:03 GMT 2016

On Thu, 3 Nov 2016, Lois McMaster Bujold wrote:
> LMB:  You are actually the first person to ask that one, but I can't say as
> the idea speaks to me.  There have been dozens, probably hundreds, of
> assorted Amazon-planet and all-women societies portrayed in SF and fantasy.
> _Ethan of Athos_ was itself a spin on this common trope.  A little too
> serious a tale in itself to be a send-up, but definitely with some irony
> leaking in around the edges.
>
> So this seems to me a want already filled, or better filled, by writers with
> more passion about the topic.

For example, _The Gate to Women's Country_, by Sherri Tepper. Very sadly,
I read in Locus Online that Tepper died recently.
http://www.locusmag.com/News/2016/10/sheri-s-tepper-1929-2016/

> Besides, a world exploring how one gender, the female, would take up all the
> costs and tasks of parenting, would be... something we don't need SF for.
> Many of us already live it in there here-and-now.

Yes!

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"Books are an amazing thing. Anyone who thinks of them as a escape from reality or as something you should get your nose out of and go outside and
play, as merely a distraction, or an amusement, or a waste of time, is dead wrong. Books are the most important, the most powerful, the most
beautiful thing humans have ever created. ... Books can reach out across space and time and language and culture and customs, gender, and age, and
even death and speak to someone they never met, to someone who wasn't even born when they were written, and give them help, and advice, and
companionship and consolation." -- Connie Willis