[LMB] Any chance of a new book, Lois?

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Nov 4 12:45:53 GMT 2016

On Fri, 4 Nov 2016 07:20:29 +0100, markus baur <baur at chello.at> wrote:

>>> technology to allow for gender balance.   What would be the result?
>>>
>>> I suspect the Matriarchy would continue, though men would gradually win
>>> more rights (if our world is anything to judge by).
>>>
>>> I suspect that evolutionary pressures would lead to gender balance
>>> anyway- a significant gender imbalance in births leads to an advantage
>>> for the minority gender that would enhance the reproductive success of
>>> anyone producing a slightly higher ratio than the norm.
>>>
>>> Even species where there is a severe imbalance in the animals that get
>>> to breed, the genders are roughly balanced numerically - anything else
>>> creates an evolutionary pressure towards parity.
>
>how does this effect work .. ?

It's essentially a numbers game: "which sex of offspring is more likely
to pass on your genes."

If there is a gender imbalance in the population, a small tendency to
favour one sex of offspring over the other can be a slight advantage in
terms of evolutionary success.  And that's all it takes for the
incidence of that gene to increase in the population.

It's likely only dynamically stable - it won't just regress to the mean
and stay there, there's likely to be some hysterisis in the system.
--
If there really is a God who created the entire universe with all of its glories,
and He decides to deliver a message to humanity, He will not use, as His