[LMB] SP: the title of Penric's Mission

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 21:24:12 GMT 2016

The following does technically include spoilers, and any discussion which
follows may as well.  So if you won't want to know anything at all, read no
further.

*
*
*
*

I'm rather glad that the PM title was chosen instead of "A Message to
Cedonia" or whatever.  Given what I knew a the time, the titles seemed
equally appropriate.  But now that I'm reading the story, it's clear
"Penric's Mission" is the best fit.

Because really, the story is about the mission Penric assigns himself, not
the one he was on at the beginning of the story.  PM is appropriate in ways
I never realized.

I can't help but wonder how many other kinds of appropriate matching in my
favorite works is due to accident or the necessity of choice rather than
subtle planning.

*
*
*