[LMB] Any chance of a new book, Lois?

Baur baur at chello.at
Sat Nov 5 18:29:47 GMT 2016

Am 05.11.2016 um 18:10 schrieb Eric Oppen:
> In _A Brother's Price,_ "whorehouses" for men did exist.  The men were kept
> there more-or-less by force, and kept drugged up to keep them up (so to
> speak).  Women who couldn't afford to buy husbands, and didn't have
> brothers to trade for a husband, would use them.

yup .. and these "tomcathouses" are not described in any glowing terms

> Unfortunately, as I say, syphilis was apparently endemic if not epidemic,
> and that made the "cribs" very dangerous for their inmates and their
> patrons.

or something that looks and acts like syph (and probably like the early
syph - 1700 to 1800, when it was a much more dangerous illness - it has
"mollified" a bit over time)

> I've thought that what the world of _A Brother's Price_ needed
> was a "Connecticut Yankee" figure, someone from another world who knew how
> to do things...like make penicillin.  They could have also had telegraphs
> and railroads, at least unless iron and steel were much rarer than in our
> world.

it would really be interesting to learn more about this world and its
history ..

servus

markus