[LMB] Re: Penric's Mission Typos--Pronk (and OT reminiscence)

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Mon Nov 7 06:34:20 GMT 2016

On Nov 06, 2016, at 02:06 PM, Lois Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:
>>But some do catch obscure things often enough, I look at them all.  Pronged for pronked is currently on my hit list.

I don't think I've ever encountered that word. However, I did have a French Lit prof named Leonard Pronko. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Pronko

In 1970 ( think I took his class in '72/3), he was the first non-Japanese to study at the Kabuki Training Program at the National Theatre of Japan. I had never seen kabuki before one of his productions, but I recall him talking about it (in French? don't recall), about men playing women's roles (same issue as for women in theater in the West for many centuries, beginning in the mid-1600's) and how to portray the difference, the fragrance of a freshly peeled orange by an old woman in the audience while he was waiting on the hanamichi (a walkway which is sometimes its own stage) to enter onto the stage. He had ears like President Obama, a true European honker of a nose, and didn't meet the standard of male beauty. He would often wear a black turtleneck under a Black Watch blazer/jacket, possibly the origin of my fondness for that tartan.. Once he began to speak, all that was forgotten, as the sound, the cadence, and his choice of words mesmerized the class or audience. Because of his eloquence regarding the legendary far-reqaching Breton forest of Brocéliande, its tiny remnant now called Paimpont, and his description of Merlin's Well /Fontaine de Barenton) therein, where one could call up storms by sprinkling water from the fountain on the Step, I made a pilgrimage (with the help of two hitchhiking Walloon librarians) to it. It was a hot and muggy day, and I must have attracted all sorts of biting insects, as I saw the spots on my face and arms just before boarding the ferry back to Plymouth a couple of days later.

Marina