[LMB] SP: My thoughts on Penric's Mission (long with spoilers galore)

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Mon Nov 7 19:30:11 GMT 2016

On Mon, November 7, 2016 1:20 pm, Matthew George wrote:
> spoilers *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
>

> That would certainly account for what we're told about eunuchs.  Not a
> Roman OR Greek custom, but one more popular further east (west in 5GW).

Not a classical Greek custom, but well-known in Byzantine history.
(Not sure where they picked it up from.)

> Is there any consensus as to where the story takes place, relative to our
>  world?  I thought it was alt-Greece, but I suppose it could be as far as
>  alt-Turkey.

I got the feeling it was "alt-Balkans-coast", maybe modern Albania or
western Greece somewhere, but we probably shouldn't push the geographical
parallels _too_ much given that this isn't exactly our world.

Tony Z