[LMB] 3D Printer CAD/CAM OT:

James M. BRYANT G4CLF james at jbryant.eu
Tue Nov 8 11:11:40 GMT 2016

Der Markus explains:-

 >The reason for my questions is that we thinking of branching into
3d printing in
 >our company (plastic molding) and i am wondering how far our
existing software
 >setups are capable for this (we are using SolidEdge 3D CAD, AutoCAD
for 2D CAD,
 >and NX5 for milling / EDM CAM planning) - our CAD software
should  handle that
 >all well, but i have to check if NX5 can do the layer slicing).

A quick Google tells me that SolidEdge can export STL files (I did
not follow up
to see how easy it is to do). All the slicers (software that prepares
data files
for 3D printers) that I have encountered will accept STL files as input. So all
should be fairly simple.

James - who is happy to slice and print an STL file if Markus sends him one
(Object should be smaller than 150 mm cube)