[LMB] 3D Printer CAD/CAM OT:

Dave McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Tue Nov 8 16:28:07 GMT 2016

On 11/8/2016 6:38 AM, James M. BRYANT G4CLF wrote:

> Micki's "...husband kind of needs a new hobby, but I'm afraid
> 3D printing might be a very, very expensive one..."
>
> Dunno what you consider expensive, nor Japanese prices, but
> you can get quite a good 3D printer for under $1,000 in the
> USA and not much more (VAT/GST/WHY adds to it) in Yurp.

     For entry-level printers, I can vouch for the PrintrBot Play (no,
that's not a typo), with factory-reconditioned models selling for $299US
($399 new), here:  https://printrbot.com/shop/certified/

     It's only good for printing fairly small objects (4in square by 5in
tall -- 100mm square by 125mm tall, for you metric types), but I was
amazed at the print quality "out of the box" with minimal fiddling.  The
only problem with mine is that I have to keep adjusting the Z-height
offset to fine-tune the bottom layers, but that's a pretty minor issue
and just a software command.

     You *do* want to avoid "cheaping out" on filament, simply because
poor filament is a quick route to frustration.  But "good" filament
isn't really expensive, just more so than the dirt-cheap stuff you can
find whose quality is... uneven, at best.