[LMB] SP: My thoughts on Penric's Mission (long with spoilers galore)

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 00:15:21 GMT 2016

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 12:37 PM, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:

> SPOILERS All gone...

Mathew mentions that inefficient is worse than evil.
Possibly because of Leo Graf, his mind jumps to :

> So gloriously engineer-y.

And yet the theme is found in many other books -
Wheel of Time has the moral battle of the Amyrlins, in which Egwene is
forced to serve dinner for What'shername and says something to the effect
of, "Look at the terrible results of your ridiculous orders. I don't think
you're a Dark-friend, I think the Dark Lord would be embarrassed to have
you on his side."

in Harry Potter fanfic Methods of Rationality:
there are several references to results being important, and being
inefficient is worse than being evil, or can be mistaken for being evil.
Mind you, that fic is lovely at handwaving away the results that _someone_
doesn't think is important.  (Doyle or Watson, hm?)

Neither of those examples would let anyone jump to engineering.

Sylvia