[LMB] SP: Favorite line in "Penric's Mission"

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 9 00:36:11 GMT 2016

----- Original Message -----
From: Howard Brazee
> On Nov 8, 2016, at 1:46 AM, M. Haller Yamada
>

> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *

Micki: > But as for the Peter Wimsy thing, well, there is the physical resemblance: wiry,
> straw-colored hair. But there's also the deep sense of trauma. Wimsy had a bad
> war. Pen had a terrible . . . what would they have called a doctor's residency in
> the Weald? I think Pen's coping devices are very similar to Wimsy's. Keep active,
> keep useful, don't think dark thoughts, don't let others realize just how dark
> and serious you've gotten.

Howard:

The primary attribute of Penric for me is - he’s a scholar and a bookworm.

Maybe Peter O’Toole’s Lawrence of Arabia.

Micki again: Ah, there's that, too. Lord Peter Wimsy collected old books, IIRC.
Pen's writing books-that-will-be-old-and-rare (well, maybe not so rare, thanks to
his demon-assisted printing presses).

I'm only casually familiar with Lawrence of Arabia, but I think you are right
that he falls in the same sort of category. Scholar/hero.

*
*
*
*