[LMB] SP: Favorite line in "Penric's Mission"

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 9 04:48:01 GMT 2016

________________________________
From: Marc Wilson
:

>Micki: Which brings up a philosophical point: Do, then, demons have a certain
>amount of free choice, just like humans do? It seems like the Dratsab doesn't
>direct the jump; it's the strongest person around -- in seemingly the demon's
>judgement! Unless there's some sort of demon-dar radar woo-woo going on at the
>time of the jump.

Marc: Humans have free choice, but not over whether to fall due to gravity,
for instance.

Marc: Perhaps when the host dies, it's just an automatic process.

Micki: But we can twist, and fall on our butt, or our elbow or our back,
sometimes. The demon must jump. But, who decides what "strongest" is? Can the
demon decide, or is it up to some Natural Unthinking Force like gravity? (-: No
definitive text ev, I think. Although, I will note that Des jumped to Pen, not
the bodyguard. So "strongest" isn't only about physical strength.
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
--
The problems of success are real, and with with luck, you'll
experience them.  - Neil Gaiman

Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk