[LMB] Desdemona's Future

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Nov 9 18:24:52 GMT 2016

I posted this to the Baen Bar and I'm going to copy it here too.

* SPOILER *
* SPOILER *
* SPOILER *
* SPOILER *
* SPOILER *
* SPOILER *
* SPOILER *
* SPOILER *
* SPOILER *
* SPOILER *
* SPOILER *

On Tue, 08 Nov 2016 16:22:59 -0700, denim wrote:
>> Not to imply an obligation or even a suggestion, but it would be
>> cool, say five or six books hence, to see Des with her next rider.
>> To see what Des' impression of Penric is like and how the poor
>> sorcerer deals with an older brother along with the posse of older
>> sisters.
>
> Now that I think about it, imagine Desdemona at some future time
> encountering a demon remover we've encountered before.

Thinking about Desdemona a few generations down the line, I wonder at
what point her personality becomes so large and overwhelming that it
starts to be like Horseriver taking over his descendents.

Even if Desdemona holds back and does not try to take over, her memories
are going to be very influential on her host. How much can the host
accept from memories without also pulling in beliefs, prejudices, habits
of thought, etc?

Another interesting thought of future Desdemona I had is how much more
she can do with the same amount of chaos but even more skill. For
example, light a tree on fire, then use the chaos of that fire to fuel
even larger sorcery, much like we learned to do with steam boiler
technology. And we saw in this story that Des can pull chaos even from
destroying the order within matter, as when she disintegrated that rat.
How far can _that_ go? Nuclear fusion powered chaos magic perhaps?

And then there's the interesting bit we got near the end of the story
where Des says she would have jumped to Nikys if Penric died. Now that
would have to be weird. And kind of like what happened to Daav when
Aeliana died in Lee & Miller's Liaden series. Two people who love each
other, living in one head? Is that a good or bad thing?

* SPOILER *
* SPOILER *
* SPOILER *
* SPOILER *