[LMB] OT: Online Info

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 01:39:45 GMT 2016

On Wed, 9 Nov 2016 18:10:38 -0500, Sylvia McIvers
<sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 11:25 PM, <adkinslawfirm at mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>> Kirsten E. asks about "the word for that small cross-shaped knife knights
>> would carry in the event of comrades w/gut wounds & etc."
>>
>> It's misericorde.
>>

>Oh!  I know that word!
>But I only know it as a small thin knife, not as 'cut of grace'
>
>is the 'miseri' starting the word related to misery?
>and corde = cord, always confused me  why a knife had that name.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/misericorde

Established 1200–50 from Middle English misericorde ?(“an act of
clemency”), from Middle French, from Latin misericordia ?(“pity”)

--
It's almost as though the Bible was written by racist, sexist, homophobic,
violent, sexually frustrated men, instead of a loving God.  Weird.  - Ricky Gervais