[LMB] Penric's Mission (no spoilers) Map?

Zeev Tarantov zeev.tarantov at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 15:10:03 GMT 2016

 spoiler

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 3:41 PM, Karen Hunt <huntkc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Orbas is presumably outside
> Cedonia, though I could be told otherwise.

I think Orbas is Albania.

For Rusylli, I'm wondering what I could/should hook them to as well. My
> first thought is something like Russian, but they'd be awfully far south
> for the most part. White Russia or something like Serbia might do better...

In antiquity, it should be Illyrians, Thracians, something like that.
This happens later, so Bulgarians or other South Slavs like the ancestors
of modern FYROM.
Quote from Wikipedia: "In the ninth century AD, saints Cyril and Methodius
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saints_Cyril_and_Methodius> introduced Old
Church Slavonic <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Church_Slavonic>, the
first Slavic language of literacy. Written with their newly invented
Glagolitic <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glagolitic> script, this language
was based largely on the dialect of Slavs spoken around Thessaloniki
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thessaloniki>; this dialect is closest to
present-day Macedonian and Bulgarian
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgarian_language>."

> I don't know if we're going to have an east-west flip of our maps or just
> of some of the areas involved.

The map should include all the mentioned lands (alt-Iberia, alt-France,
alt-Switzerland, alt-Germany, alt-Italy, alt-Greece) and be arranged in the
same orientation as in the books, so flipped east-west and across the
equator.

> I will note that Adria is not that far from
> the Cantons - it's where people figured he/Des was going to flee to at the
> end of Penric's Demon when they thought he'd attacked his nice hosts in
> Castle Martenden. I kind of wonder if we can hook up the homes of
> Desdemona's various riders into a plausible path from Patos to the cantons.

Northern Italy is close to Switzerland, so it makes sense.
Where is Lodi? What do we know about it except that it's on Italy's eastern
shore IRL?

 spoiler
 spoiler
 spoiler