[LMB] Can anybody on the list read Korean?

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Mon Nov 14 23:52:11 GMT 2016

On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 17:29:15 -0500, Fred Smith
<fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:

>It is common that Koreans who haven't had training in phonetic english
>cannot pronounce an 'r', and it comes out as an 'l' sound instead.
>(similar phenomena affect 'f'-sounds, and there are probably others I
>was aware of when I was there--45 years ago--but can't recall now.)

I read somewhere (New Scientist, perhaps?) that newborns have a very
wide range of perception of vocal sounds, but the ones that are not
relevant are "pruned" during brain development.  It's accordingly much
harder to learn to perceive differences that don't matter to the phoneme
map of the language(s) you do speak.

The boot is on the other foot when it comes to Anglophones trying to
learn tonal languages, or African languages where clicks form part of
the range of significant sounds.
--
There's no trick to being a humourist when you have the whole government working for you.  - Will Rogers