[LMB] Can anybody on the list read Korean?

M R Dolbear m.dolbear at lineone.net
Tue Nov 15 02:54:05 GMT 2016

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016, at 00:46, Howard Brazee wrote:

> > On Nov 14, 2016, at 4:52 PM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I read somewhere (New Scientist, perhaps?) that newborns have a very
> > wide range of perception of vocal sounds, but the ones that are not
> > relevant are "pruned" during brain development.  It's accordingly much
> > harder to learn to perceive differences that don't matter to the phoneme
> > map of the language(s) you do speak.
>
> One study showed that Japanese infants heard the difference between
> ra-ra-ra-la and ra-ra-ra-ra, but by the time they were toddlers, they had
> learned that there is no difference.

There were even studies based on what language(s) the baby had heard in
the womb (think Ethan of Athos and music)

Shades of Hellspark (Janet Kagan) where the Galspeak universal language
only used sounds common to all languages and the Hellspark
super-linguists had invented and enhanced one to use /every / sound.

I have suggested a range of nursery rhymes and songs be developed to do
just that. Start with "Loch Lomond" to get the 'loch' sound.

Little Egret by email (Windows Live Mail)
Michael Dolbear in Walton-on-Thames