[LMB] To the Manner Born

Jonathan Spencer jonrspence at aol.com
Thu Nov 24 05:30:30 GMT 2016

I always enjoyed To the Manor Born when it was rerun on the local PBS station.  I had the good fortune to meet Dame Keith once, or should I say Sherriff Keith, as at the time she was serving as High Sheriff of Surrey.  The phrase “To the Manner Born” comes from Hamlet  and the full quote is “ Though I am a native here and to the manner born, it is a custom more honoured in the breach than the observance.”

In some ways, I always imagined many a Vor Lady acting very much like Audrey Forbes Hamilton.

Jonathan Spencer