[LMB] ot: quilting

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 18:43:56 GMT 2016

Well ... I would be investigating the spinnable fibers - many plants
have long staple fibers [hemp, flax, heck, you can even rett and spin
*celery*] and there are certainly different forms of animal live -
weren't the land crabs fuzzy? I know the hexaped 'deer' and 'cats' had
fur. And different plants, insects and critters of various types can be
turned into dyes. [think onion skin antique yellow, pokeberry purple,
cochineal insect red and murex shellfish purple for Earth]

Different mordants and processing [do we *really* want to know how they
discovered you need to process murex or woad with *urine* ulp.] minerals
such as salt, alum and iron, chemicals such as ammonia/urine and aging
[well, woad has a 2 year lifespan, young woad makes greens and yellows,
old woad can make the blues] and such. They are even playing around with
spider silk in addition to silkworms - the added benefit is that if done
properly you don't have to kill the spiders to harvest the silk. There
was a product spun from the fibers that attached some shellfish to rocks
that was considered exceptionally strong in Byzantium.

All more or less off the top of my head from some 25 years or so of SCA
fabric arts. Why yes I can take a live sheep and end up with dinner and
a dress =)

On 11/27/2016 1:03 PM, adkinslawfirm at mindspring.com wrote:
> Here's a fun quilting story.
>
> http://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-collision-of-quilting-and-rock-music/
>

> obLMB: Anyone care to speculate how Sergyarans are putting their own spin on traditional Barrayaran textile arts?

---