[LMB] Kosher

Caroline Tabach ctabach at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 09:59:21 GMT 2016

On 28 November 2016 at 19:07, Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Harvey Fishman <fishman at panix.com>
> wrote:
>

> > -NO vat meat would be kosher. To meet the laws of Kashruth, the animal
> > must have cloven hoofs and chew its cud. Synthetically grown meat would
> not
> > meet those criteria.
> >
> > Harvey
> >

> > --
> >

> The question is, it it actually meat? Or just synthetic protein mixed with
> flavoring?

I think it would depend if it is classed as an animal or an animal
substitue and where it came from.

Even if the first time was from a real pig, and then it was diluted down
and down, maybe by 20 generations later, it would no longer be considered
to be a not kosher animal.

Today there are mock all sorts of things, and if they originate from soya
or tofu, one can eat them.

However, I will share an interesting fact Irecently learnt; apart from
everything else, the Pig was the emblem of one of the Roman legions who
wiped out the second temple, another reason it became so objectionable

--
Caroline Tabach
ctabach at gmail.com