[LMB] Paladin of Souls - how intentional are the parallels between Ista and Christ?

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Sun Oct 2 03:19:21 BST 2016

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 06:41:17PM -0400, Matthew George wrote:
> It sounds absurd, I know, but there are sections of PoS that remind me very
> much of traditional ideas in Christianity.  Most especially some of the
> theological explanations given for how the Crucifixion is supposed to have
> reconciled Man and God.  Ista's seeming abandonment by the White God, her
> entry into the heart of the enemy camp, and as a result the bringing of a
> divine channel into a place where such would never be permitted in normally
> - these things look an awful lot like medieval and post-medieval Christian
> theology.

There are other parallels between (say) the Quadrene denial of worship
to the B*stard, the god most involved with matter (since he has authority
over the demons who affect it) and most human (since, unlike the other
Four, he post-dates humanity) on one hand, and the Christian view of
the incarnate Jesus on the other.  I wouldn't press them too far,
since there are significant differences also (androgency, immateriality,
general character, etc.), but the parallels are there.

> I'm curious as to how readers approached this content when reading the book
> for the first time.  Not to mention how intentional this parallelism is.

I don't think I saw a lot of these the first time through, but then
the first reading was rather a long time ago... lots of reflection
and re-reading blend together in one' smind.  I'm also interested
in the question of how intentional they were -- I think some might
have sneaked through from general adoption of the background, but
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot more was going on than I was
wondering about.

Tony Z
--
Humans don’t have very much life experience until they get old, at which
point everyone decides that they are too cranky to pay attention to.