[LMB] GJ&RQ - A start for Ch 12

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 20:35:40 BST 2016

On Sat, Oct 8, 2016 at 9:44 PM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Another stray thought - given Aral's extremely traumatic childhood - war,
> massacre, war, Imperial vivisection; then dumped into a boarding school and
> expected to go back to being ordinary, then Ges, marriage, duels, Ges,
> brilliant
> career, career implosion, brilliant career, disaster, brilliant....  Ok,
> well given
> all that, I'm amazed that Aral held himself together so well.

Suddenly I'm reminded of High King Peter, Queen Susan, King Edmund, and
Young Queen Lucy, who suddenly have to go back to being children, and told
what to do.  Must have been tough. (Fanfic, anyone? They must be out
there...  but given Sturgeon's Law I prefer to avoid the random % and only
read recced fic which will usually be in the 10% )

GP: It's a brilliant offer, highlight of a marvellous career. But he has
other
options now. Mind you, it's hard to complain when you're torn between
two great futures. So many times in this series the choices were between
two bad options, and the character had to pick the least worst. Oliver
really is the sunshine, compared to the gloomy shadows of the Vorkosigan
history.

Sylvia: Oh, Miles.  he never had good choices for such a long time. OTOH no
small part of this may have come from viewing his superior officers as
future subordinates.