[LMB] Linguistic light-bulb, was google-fu aid

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Mon Oct 10 02:51:38 BST 2016

Thumb slipped, sorry.

In an earlier message which I foolishly tossed after reading, Marcus says something about Adria? and Aegis.

I thought, oh, no, he must mean, Aegean.
Next set of photons hit: no, you nimnull, "aegis", or "shield" in English--and would that be Athena's?--is the noun for Aegis, which makes that body of water the Shield Sea. Now it's bells going off in my head.

Thank you, Marcus, for revealing deeper waters behind the word I've used without thinking for decades.

One short aside: there is a phrase often used in the more Heyeresque Regency novels, "she is/was aux anges" or "in alt", meaning exceedingly happy. One does see "under her aegis", under her protection.

However, one author, name forgotten, kept using "aux aegis" instead of "aux anges". It was not a Signet release, because the line editor, the late and rightfully revered Hilary Ross (uncertain of last name), would not have allowed that to hit print.

A. Marina Fournier
Saffronrose at me.com