[LMB] GJ&RQ - A start for Ch 12

Corrina Lawson corrinaannelawson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 18:31:42 BST 2016

I think Miles did have a few safe choices but he never took them.

After his first washout at the Academy, Aral offered Miles an education and
a job in the district as a lawyer. Certainly, a comedown from a great
military career but, as we see later, having a committed and intelligent
Vorkosigan helping to make lives better for people in the district by
administering the law and perhaps leading changes to the law might well
have benefited a large number of people.

Miles viewed this as giving up on him, and as a horrible consolation prize
for all his work. No way he wouldn't, of course and it's asking too much
for him to have the maturity to see this. He has too much to prove and he's
been too traumatized by his physical disabilities.

But the choice did exist, as did him settling on Beta Colony at some point.
Cordelia seems to hint at that, a few times.

And Miles had a very active choice on whether to stay with Elli and her
fleet or whether to be part of Barrayar. Both those choices had drawbacks,
of course, but each had something positive to offer. It wasn't a choice of
two bad choices but a case of mostly two good choices with some bad fallout
either way.

Corrina