[LMB] OT: The things we regret (was: Re: GJ&RQ - A start for Ch 12)

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 03:42:42 BST 2016

From: Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>

> Bad choices, bad results, and disasters that we happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time are included in what
> makes us who we are.  If I had my life to live over again, I couldn’t possibly end up who I am today.  Neither could Miles.
> And would he be willing to give up his family to “fix” outcomes that bother him?  I doubt it.
Ironically, the thing I regret the most is the one thing I know I simply couldn't change.  Specifics: A neighbour had guests staying with them who had an epileptic son, who suffered a grand mal.  They came over to ask for help; I told them to ring triple zero and administered CPR.  The ambulance officers told me afterwards that I couldn't have done anything else, the complications of the grand mal had killed him before I got there.  It doesn't change the feeling of feeling him go under my hands, or the feeling that if I'd got there faster/performed better/known what else to do, he'd have survived.
Regrets aren't logical.
Raye
 raye_j at yahoo.com
I believe in dragons, unicorns, good menand other mythical creatures.

Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to raye_j at yahoo.com
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk