[LMB] more title search

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Thu Oct 13 20:36:47 BST 2016

On Oct 13, 2016, at 9:04 AM, Pat Mathews <mathews55 at msn.com> wrote:

> I take it "Cedonia" does start with a soft "C"?  A lot of Greek words have gone into English with the "K' turned into am "S" by the ambiguity of "C”.

It’s not so much the ambiguity of “C” as the linguistic history of the phoneme going (more or less) from Greek through Latin into the Romance languages and English.  I vaguely remember (from my linguistics and language classes) that the change from /k/ to /s/ had already started in Vulgar Latin, even while the /k/ was still being used in classical Latin, but at any rate by maybe the 5th century or so, when the Romance languages were branching off.  And then most of these words came into English along with the influx of French after the Norman Conquest.

Katherine