[LMB] Whom do you serve?

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Thu Oct 13 22:27:17 BST 2016

On Oct 13, 2016, at 4:31 PM, alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Oct 2016, Lois Bujold wrote a list of phrases to check:
>
>> To think that Illyan, whom he’d
>> known all his life, whom he’d assumed trusted him implicitly

This second whom is wrong.  Take the clauses apart:  "He'd known him all his life", so him => whom.  But "he'd assumed he trusted him implicitly", so he => who.  You wouldn't say him trusted him.

>> that of the late Sergeant Bothari whom Pym had
>> replaced.
Pym had replaced him.

>> The liveried
>> man was the laconic veteran Esterhazy, whom Miles had known most
>> of his life
Miles had known him.

>> Fell’s green guards hesitated, not certain just whom to shoot,
... to shoot him.

>> Tremont’s
>> pallbearers, whom Miles had begun to think of as his general staff,
Miles had begun to think of them.

> In all of these cases, "whom" is correct. In each case, "whom" is being used as the object of a phrase or an infinitive.

Yep, I agree with Alayne for all the rest.

Katherine