[LMB] whom ha?

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Fri Oct 14 00:29:22 BST 2016

On Oct 13, 2016, at 7:20 PM, Lois Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:

> Hm.  In the sentence
>
> To think that Illyan, whom he’d
> known all his life, whom he’d assumed trusted him [Miles] implicitly or why
> else send him on a series of such distant, independent
> missions. . . .
>
> I am failing to see any structural differences between:   To think that Illyan, whom he'd known   and  To think that Illyan, whom he'd assumed
>
> The opening clause bifurcates to be the predecessor of both co-equal following clauses, after all.
>
> ???

But I think the main clause in the final bit is "who[m] (he'd assumed) trusted him implicitly".  The "he'd assumed" could be set off with commas or left out entirely.   If you took it out of the rest of the sentence, wouldn't it be "He (Miles) had assumed that Illyan trusted him implicitly"?

Katherine