[LMB] Geology of Middle-earth: The path of the Fellowship from a geoscientific point of view OT:

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Thu Oct 20 00:52:12 BST 2016

It used to be I didn't notice much beyond writing, plot & acting in movies and TV. Okay, so costumes and music, and dance if present.

Then came cinematography. Architecture. Botany.

Now it's geology, specifically as it relates to tectonics. Happily watching Pete's Dragon this year, and notice the structure of the gorge over which they're flying. Amazingly beautiful, but not any Maine/northern New England geology of which I'm aware! Filmed in NZ, IIRC.

Then in the alleged Gold Country of California in The Magnificent Seven, I'm seeing rock and cliff faces that don't belong around gold or the Sierras. It was filmed in AZ.

I still recall standing atop Kilt Rock on eastern Skye, looking down at the black rock and black beach, up to the Cullins with an assessing eye for signs of dormant volcanos, and back again; moving on to the west coast of the US, and then to Hawaii's lava encrusted shores.

Wish I'd been able to apply for a grant in a field in which I took but one single class in college, to study the effects of climate on dormant volcanic output! I'm sure that living in EQ territory most of my life--and paying attention to tectonics most of that time doesn't make academic qualification.

A. Marina Fournier
Saffronrose at me.com