[LMB] truth in labeling puzzle

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Sat Oct 22 09:38:05 BST 2016

On Oct 19, 2016, at 07:10 AM, Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 09:05:04AM -0500, Lois McMaster Bujold wrote:
So, as has been indicated here, the new Penric novella is done,
undergoing final tidying. (A goal with moving posts, always.)

Soon, I am going to have to figure out what to put on the cover
besides my name and the story's title. The prior two entries in
what is developing into this series-in-miniature were labeled "A
novella in the world of the five gods", but... this one came out at
45,000 words.

Technically, a novella is capped at 40,000 words. 45k words isn't
even half the current market weight for a novel. The thing was
certainly written with the _intent_ to be a novella, and should read
and be read like one. But it now falls between two stools.
                      (snip)
So my options are

A novella in the world of the five gods (incorrect)

A short novel in the world of the five gods (correct but confusing)

A story in the world of the five gods (ducking the issue)

the second, plus maybe a blurb somewhere in the book explaining the
industry terminology on story typing vs wordcount.

amf: In the Hugo definition, 45K is a novel. The category starts at 40K words.

#2 or #3 seems right to me.

Marina