[LMB] An OT aside, was: truth in labeling puzzle

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 24 05:19:23 BST 2016

From: Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk>

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 08:49:32 +0000 (GMT), "A. Marina Fournier"
<saffronrose at me.com> wrote:

>On Oct 19, 2016, at 04:00 PM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> quoted:
>>>A woman came up to me on the street and pointed to my suede jacket.
>"You know a cow was murdered for that jacket?" she sneered.
>I replied in a psychotic tone: "I didn't know there were any witnesses.
>Now I'll have to kill you too." - Jake Johanson<<

>and a psychotic tone would be? I know it's humor, but still...I'm curious!

You'd have to ask Jake. :)

GP: We use the subtitles on the TV and sometimes they really add to the
show, in their own way. Music can be ominous, threatening or angry. We've
had 'muffled sound' and 'scrape'.

The subtitles themselves have been more fun than the shows sometimes.
In one case a character called 'Maddison' became 'medicine' in the subtitles.
The news, which is done on the fly as it happens, has to be taken phonetically
at times to work out what they actually said. Movies and TV shows seem to
be subtitled from the scripts, because there's often cases where the character
says something totally different to the subtitles - same meaning, but different
words. They must have changed it during filming.

Best of all is when you change channels but the subtitles stick with the original
show. (Yes, it's weird. It's not only computers that hate me. All appliances act
oddly around me at times. It's some kind of cosmic karma.)

After a while you're so used to it that the screen looks odd in shows that don't
have subtitles.

Gwynne (Btw, if you have relatives who are getting older and a bit hard of hearing,
make sure you show them how to get the subtitles on their TV. It made the world
of difference to my parents. Dad was partially deaf which got much worse over
time, and now Mum has lost a lot of hearing, and subtitles are brilliant to let the
hard of hearing enjoy their shows.)