[LMB] A use for human cloning technology that isn't unethical?

Helen Fenton hifenton at internode.on.net
Mon Oct 24 06:53:42 BST 2016

Kind Regards,
Helen Fenton

> On 24 Oct 2016, at 4:22 PM, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to "clone" blood supplies, so that any hospital has
> all-but-unlimited supplies of all types and Rhesus factors?

Yes that would be wonderful. After spending an interminable time in hospital waiting for my baby to be cooked enough I was induced at 8.30 on Saturday morning. There was a young woman expecting her first and we had got talking as you wait contemplating your huge bellies. She was fit and healthy in her first year of marriage but her blood pressure was slightly elevated so they decided to induce labour. Well things went bad for her and they raced her into theatre for a c section. Then they couldn't stop the bleeding and rushed her back in to cauterise the bleeders. Some hours later she was still bleeding and they had gone through the supplies the hospital had and were milking the nurses while they were waiting for the helicopter delivery from the blood bank. Eventually they had to rush her into theatre and do an emergency hysterectomy to save her life. She was a private patient with one of the top obstetricians in Sydney at one of the top maternity hospitals in Sydney . They managed to save her and her son BUT this was in 1984 before the HIV blood scanning had started. Three months after our children were born those of us who had transfusions get letters from the hospital to come in for tests. I was lucky I only had two bags but Melissa wasn't she went through I don't know how many bags to save her life and it ended up killing her. This was in the very early days when not a lot could be done. The only mercy was that as Melissa was so ill she couldn't breastfeed her baby - if she had he would have caught it as well.

It would also help in the UK with their problem with mad cow disease. My niece was a regular donor in Australia and spent three years in Europe and Uk and cannot donate blood again here in Australia.

Helen