[LMB] A use for human cloning technology that isn't unethical?

markus baur baur at chello.at
Tue Oct 25 14:26:39 BST 2016

Am 24.10.2016 um 22:13 schrieb Marc Wilson:
> On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 08:09:42 +0200 (CEST), baur baur <baur at chello.at>
> wrote:
>
>> hmmm ..
>>
>> it should be possible to clone tissue cultures for the originators of all the
>> different constituent parts (red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets,
>> etc.)
>>
>> question is - do we NEED all those parts?
>>
>> or would it be enough - for emergency use - to use a sterile expander solution
>> and add cultured red blood cells and perhaps platelets as needed to stop
>> leaking? (becasue i could think of situation where you might NOT want the blood
>> clotting easily)
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_substitute

to quote: "Thus far, there are no well-accepted oxygen-carrying blood
substitutes, which is the typical objective of a red blood cell transfusion"

which would make a red cell culture an item of possible interest to medcine

and judging by the stories of transfusion borne infections, the fact
that it would be 100% free of infection might add to that interest ..

servus

markus

a-1040 wien                     email: baur at chello.at