[LMB] Are we still reading Gentleman Jole and the the Red Queen?!

Beatrice Otter beatrice_otter at haugensgalleri.com
Wed Oct 26 03:13:15 BST 2016

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

From: Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.comThe thing is, I can think of several Earth cities that are in danger zones
that may well be far more endangered than Kburg.  Naples (Vesuvius) and the
coastal cities of California (San Andreas Fault) come to mind in this
connection.

That said, since they _can_ move the capital, why ever not do so?

Beatrice Otter:There are two very large differences between kareenburg and the aforementioned cities. First, the cities are on Earth, which is very crowded, which means that if we eliminated any land with such hazards, there wouldn't be enough room for all of Earth's population to live. Second, Earth doesn't have the antigrav technology to make transport and sundry costs negligible. Both of these factors tilt the equation in favor of building cities in hazardous but strategic locations.
On Sergyar, they have their pick of the entire planet, with the technology to make anything work a far as resources and transportation.  It's stupid to do anything but pick the safest place with the nicest climate to develop.
Beatrice Otter