[LMB] Are we still reading Gentleman Jole and the the Red Queen?!

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Wed Oct 26 14:20:32 BST 2016

On Wed, October 26, 2016 1:27 am, M. Haller Yamada wrote:

> Beatrice Otter:Kareenburg is the current capital, right? Kareenburg is
> there because the base is there, and the base is there because the cache
> of war supplies for the Escobar war was there because the caves in the
> volcano were a good hiding spot and it was all inertia from there.  We are
> not told of any local industries that require natural resources (mining,
> etc.).

They weren't plot-relevant, but I expect they're around there somewhere.
Continental volcanic areas tend to be great mining places (cf. the Sierra
Nevada) -- magma underground heats hot water, the hot water carries
dissolved minerals toward the surface, and they precipitate out.  Ore
veins are fossil hot springs.

There are other sources of various ores, but that's a big one.  Of course,
maybe the locals are getting most of their mineral resources from space...

>> Micki: You know, given that Barrayarans are (justifiably) paranoid about
> military invasions and such, I bet those caves are STILL a huge draw for
> K-burg's
> population. Nothing says "confusion to the enemy" like a complex of caves,
> right? I wouldn't be surprised if K-burg had nice weather, and the
> volcanic ash provided wonderfully fertile soil (and there may be
> geothermal benefits).

All true, and one reason why development might not have thought too hard
about moving away from the initial landing area.  (I'm guessing that
volcanic heat and minerals were another draw for security -- it makes it
harder for space-based sensors to pick up small heat sources like humans
and human habitations.)

> All of which are hard to access under a river of lava, but . . . . Humans
> are optimists.

Sure, and the next eruption might not take place for 10,000 years.

Tony Z