[LMB] Are we still reading Gentleman Jole and the the Red Queen?!

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Oct 28 15:43:58 BST 2016

On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 06:34:04 +0200 (CEST), baur baur <baur at chello.at>
wrote:

>every mountain is a climbers mountain 8) (says somebody who grew up in Tyrol)

Ah, Messner country.

What we'd call a mountain in the UK probably has a village on it in
Tyrol. :)

>the only questions remaining are the amount of skill (technique) needed and the
>amount of support (equipment) needed and the amount of (weather) luck needed

Which are, in some ways, going in opposite directions: Everest is
climbed "quick and dirty" by some parties these days, rather than with
massive "siege" tactics.

>the available skill and support amounts have increased over time - the amount of
>luck necessary has decreased over time

Up to a point. The equipment is better, for sure, but you still have to
be lucky with the weather.

>and its those mountains that need(or needed) all three that remain in public
>memory - things like the Eiger north face (the Mordwand), the Everest, and
>others

Interesting: in English, we'd say "Everest" but "The Tyrol".
--
"Now, now my good man, this is no time for making enemies."
- Voltaire , on his deathbed in response to a priest asking that he renounce Satan.