[LMB] My First Bujold (Was Plus-Size Novella Run-Off)

Corrina Lawson corrinaannelawson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 16:01:41 BST 2016

My first Bujold is a long story, in that I was a dummyhead about it.

A good friend and romance writer, Katy Cooper, who wrote historicals for
Harlequin, literally shoved a copy of Cordelia's Honor in my hand, insisted
I would love it, and I should read it post-haste.

But I didn't, I let it sit on my nightstand for a while because I didn't
live the cover (that's the one with Cordelia in the Captain's chair with
chaos around her.) I'd tried Honor Harrington and found that not to my
taste and this was packaged similarly.

But, Katy kept bugging me, so I read it, and by page 9, I was hooked on the
Vorkosigan series for life. This was before Amazon offered so much free
shipping, so I haunted bookstores for the series and ended up reading
things out of order, jumping from CH to Diplomatic Immunity. (I KNOW!) I
made my friends swear that Aral lived before reading any after CH, though.

I devoured all the Vorkosigan books in short order, though it took me a
while to warm to Miles. (Memory did the trick.) And, basically, have
devoured everything written by Herself since then, and enjoyed them all.

It comes in handy when people ask questions like:

"Wouldn't it be great to have a SF/F book that stars a mother?"
Me:  The Answer is Bujold.

"Wouldn't it be great to have older female leads?"
Me: The Answer is Bujold.

"Wouldn't it be great to have leads who are LGBTQ in SF/F?"
Me: The Answer is Bujold.

"Wouldn't it be great to have characters with chronic or mental illnesses
portrayed well in SF/F?"
Me: The Answer is Bujold.

However, when the book with the epilogue came out, I didn't read it. (This
has nothing to do with the book quality at ALL, just my mullish fannishness
regarding Aral). But GJ & RQ brought me back, so it's a reader happing
ending after all.

Corrina
www.corrina-lawson.com