[LMB] Are we still reading Gentleman Jole and the the Red Queen?!

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 16:40:49 BST 2016

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 7:46 AM, Gwynne Powell

> GP: I hadn't thought of it before, but banning infanticide was an attack
> on the status of women in the more traditional areas. Women were the
> keepers of the genome,... it gave a certain status that women were given
> this task, they
> had control over life and death - it balanced male status from facing
> combat.

Hey, back up there. I thought risking life in battle is balanced by risking
life in child-bed.   Maybe killing the enemy in battle can be compared to
killing the enemy which is your own baby?  That doesn't quite balance,
because killing the enemy is glorious, while killing your baby is misery.

> When infanticide was banned (something I applaud, totally) it removed the
> greatest task, status and responsibility of women in those villages.

Besides actually giving birth. Um. They still risk dying.
And since there's no war, the men don't actually risk much at all.
(Farm accidents, pah. Falling down a mountainside or getting kicked in the
head by a horse BUILD CHARACTER.  So there.

> Sometimes a really good, sensible law can still have negative consequences
> for
> a lot of people.
>
> Gwynne (feeling philosophical)

The Law of Unintended Consequences is even nastier than Murphy's Law.
Sylvia