[LMB] Disaster Prep OT: was Are we still reading Gentleman Jole and the the Red Queen?!

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 17:32:43 BST 2016

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 2:03 PM, Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org> wrote:

> On 10/26/2016 05:52 AM, Walter Bushell wrote:
> >

> If we can spend billions on the military to protect us against other
> countries why not spend on protecting against natural disaster as well.
> --

On a smaller disaster scale, the Louisiana levies were not repaired despite
engineering reports of Disaster Anticipated, because politicians did not
believe in Disaster Later when they could deal with Money For Us Right Now.

In other news, politicians praise themselves for saving money by not doing
maintenance on bridges. The fact that the next administration is going to
have serious problems with failing bridges is Not Their Problem (tm).

On the other hand, when New York gears up for Major Snowfall Disaster Just
Like That One Awful Year and then the snow is mostly a dud, the people
laugh at the Cassandra politicians and ... vote for them again anyhow, but
what if they spent mega money on The Asteroid Disaster and The Volcano
Disaster which turn out to be duds... and  that wasted money and worse,
looking stupid, may actually produce Vote The Bums Out.

Sylvia