[LMB] Are we still reading Gentleman Jole and the the Red Queen?!

Baur baur at chello.at
Sat Oct 29 08:26:23 BST 2016

Am 28.10.2016 um 16:43 schrieb Marc Wilson:
> On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 06:34:04 +0200 (CEST), baur baur <baur at chello.at>
> wrote:
>
>> every mountain is a climbers mountain 8) (says somebody who grew up in Tyrol)
>
> Ah, Messner country.
>
> What we'd call a mountain in the UK probably has a village on it in
> Tyrol. :)

we do have villages on the altitude of ben nevis and higher - that said,
ben nevis  can be interesting (like in the chinese curse) due to its
weather

>> the only questions remaining are the amount of skill (technique) needed and the
>> amount of support (equipment) needed and the amount of (weather) luck needed
>
> Which are, in some ways, going in opposite directions: Everest is
> climbed "quick and dirty" by some parties these days, rather than with
> massive "siege" tactics.

alas - only a small minority

>> the available skill and support amounts have increased over time - the amount of
>> luck necessary has decreased over time
>
> Up to a point. The equipment is better, for sure, but you still have to
> be lucky with the weather.

but weather forecast have gotten a LOT better - and larger expeditions
usually have their own meteorologist on retainer

>> and its those mountains that need(or needed) all three that remain in public
>> memory - things like the Eiger north face (the Mordwand), the Everest, and
>> others
>
> Interesting: in English, we'd say "Everest" but "The Tyrol".

its our germanic tendency to put (gendered) articles in front of every
noun . 8)

servus

markus

--