[LMB] GJ&RQ - Ch 13 and the world turns over

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 29 14:03:58 BST 2016

I love the way Lois tears things apart so casually. A piece of information
seriously changes how we see events in the past. And present.

There's so much of the past in this chapter, the Prince Serg and all its
history, trailing the rest of Barrayar's past.

And then we see the future - Alex who doesn't want to be another

Vorkosigan Academy graduate, he wants to make a new path.

We also see Aral that way in this chapter - first all the memories of Aral
at war, his stresses and abilities, then Aral in contented peace (for a
given, Sergyaran value of 'peace') quietly doing his artwork. Maybe
Barrayar lost a really brilliant architect to the Academy.

Ohhh and a quick thought - if Aral had architectural leanings - did he
inherit them from Dono Vorrutyer, distant relative and world's worst
(or most paranoid) architect?

Gwynne