[LMB] OT: AKICOTL. Cast iron cooking question

kbarry kbarry at bitsofhistory.com
Sun Oct 30 01:58:21 GMT 2016

On 10/29/2016 9:53 PM, Pat Mathews wrote:

> Thanks, Mark. So - IIRC, super-seasoning (or seasoning new cast iron, which I'm not fool enough to buy) calls for more than what I usually do - clean it as recommended, heat until dry, add a bit of oil, and rub in well. I think it involves the oven but have forgotten, and existing information is as varied as recipes for fruit cobblers. So - that is question #2 for the list, and many thanks.

Most instructions are along this line.

While maintaining the seasoning should keep your Cast Iron and Carbon
Steel in good condition, at some point you may need to re-season your
cookware. If food sticks to the surface, or you notice a dull, gray
color, repeat the seasoning process:

* Wash the cookware with hot, soapy water and a stiff brush. (It is okay
to use soap this time because you are preparing to re-season the cookware).

* Rinse and dry completely.

* Apply a very thin, even coating of MELTED solid vegetable shortening
(or cooking oil of your choice) to the cookware inside and out. Too much
oil will result in a sticky finish.

* Place aluminum foil on the bottom rack of the oven (not directly on
bottom) to catch any drips.

* Set oven temperature to 350 – 400 degrees F.

* Place cookware upside down on the top rack of the oven to prevent pooling.

* Bake the cookware for at least one hour. After the hour, turn the oven
off and let the cookware cool in the oven.

* Store the cookware uncovered, in a dry place when cooled.

* Repeat as necessary.

Regards,
Kevin Barry

Proprietor
http://www.bitsofhistory.com
http://www.vcoins.com/barryanddarling
Co-Owner of the Moneta-L and ACM-L Lists