[LMB] OT: AKICOTL. Cast iron cooking question

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 30 02:05:49 GMT 2016

I think there are a lot of different ways to season (and maintain) a cast iron
skillet that all work. I have a huge one that won't fit into my oven. For that
guy, I season it by filling it half way with salad oil, then deep-fat-frying
something in it like french fries or breaded chicken cutlets. Let it cool,
carefully dump the oil, and then wipe the excess out and put it back on heat (low
heat -- don't burn it) until some of the shine and stickiness has gone out.

Then, I must wrap it in some sort of cloth so dust won't stick to any stickiness
that's left. I find cooking fatty bacon in a pan is also a good way to season my
big pan. Olive oil doesn't seem to do much for me.

Then, when it's time to make pancakes or hashbrowns, I pre-heat my skillet on
high for a couple of minutes, until the added salad oil gets that "hot sheen" to
it. I turn the heat waaaaay down at that point, then put in my pancake mix or
grated potatoes, and cover.

For hashbrowns, I let them roast for about 10 minutes (covered), then flip them
and let them roast another 10 or 15 minutes for the other side. For pancakes,
cooking time varies by size, so I wait until the top is covered in bubbles (start
peeking at the three-minute mark), and then flip and cook for about 75 percent of
the time that Side One took.

Don't use too much oil. Add butter to the top of the pancakes after you've
flipped them if you want buttery flavored pancakes. (And who doesn't?)

That's my advice, but I'm sure there's at least a half a dozen of other good ways
to season and cook with cast iron.

Micki