[LMB] GJ&RQ - A start for Ch 12

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Mon Oct 31 21:14:12 GMT 2016

On Oct 11, 2016, at 05:22 PM, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:

Me, I'd change several things if I could go back. Depends on how far back
I would go.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 7:04 PM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:

The things I regret the most I still regret. I'm thankful that I can't
change them because I would not have the things I loved the most.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 3:45 PM, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
>
> Bad choices, bad results, and disasters that we happened to be in the
wrong place at the wrong time are included in what makes us who we are.
If I had my life to live over again, I couldn’t possibly end up who I am
today.

I'm with Eric. Depends on how far back. My first critical turning point was not opting for the most rigourous math class offered when I returned to San Diego in 8th grade. In my early ideas of college, I wanted to become a pharmacist, because alchemist and village herbalist were not offered.

When CA's Prop. 13 passed in 1978 (I think that's the year), I should have gone ballistic in finding a way to afford and attend UCLA to get an MLS.

At this point, it becomes highly unlikely that I would have met my husband, his parents, or had the son I have, but my marriage having been more of a stalemate since 2006, perhaps that's not all that bad.

I AM a frustrated wish-I'd-been librarian. I haven't worked, save for seven glorious months at JPL, to my fullest capacity since leaving the Francis Bacon Library to work at Getty Oil in 1981. My meager salary and no benefits at the FBL made that an unavoidable shift.

Neither the work nor my boss, at Xerox AIS, were all that great--but it was there that I was first exposed to the net and computer engineers who were unlikely to be threatened personally by a woman as intelligent as they were. It's where I met my husband, too. I think a few more top-of-the-lungs fights with him before we married might have revealed some of the things wrong with our union, and made me aware of them when they might have been repaired, removed, or left behind.

So, three turning points I'd like to have chosen differently. I would be happier.

Marina