[LMB] keeping Miles busy

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 8 11:00:19 BST 2017

I think from the throw-away lines (especially, I remember a passage from ACC where Miles had just
gotten back from the Vormuir fact-finding mission), an Auditor's job is never done. I'm not sure he'd
have all that much free time.

But certainly, the pressure of six kids is going to mean he has to MAKE time for certain things. (-:

Most probably a remodeling of Vorkosigan Surleau. Given how Miles went with the garden, I think it
would be wonderful he went for a log home lodge. I'm not sure -- the Barrayarans can burn trees for
firewood, but I wonder how they'd feel about wasting wood on log lodges. But let's say that there are
an excess of logs for some reason (maybe a lot of people are using the new galactic technologies to
make warmer, tighter, more efficient homes, and the old market for logs is starting to saturate). So,

I'm thinking a lovely, old-fashioned Gilded Age lodge where the key logs are actually hollow to
accommodate any wires or cables that may be necessary. (Who knows? Maybe they are all wireless? Or
maybe someone does find out all those bouncing rays really are a health hazard, so we're all back to
cables again except for mobile units? The pendulum of technology may swing back and forth on that.)

Room for six kids, all the servants, honored guests and retinues (like the Emperor's family),
security, and the plumbing will be over-engineered to a ridiculous extent. Wonderful power showers
that help massage away the mild aches and pains that come with age, and of course, the toilets can
handle a metric ton of bugbutter if necessary.

Micki